Serious accidents happen out of the blue, when you least expect it, and for most people only once in a lifetime. Accordingly, most people do not look for a personal injury lawyer until they actually need one. But, with so much hanging in the balance, how do you find a truly excellent accident attorney? Sure, you see plenty of ads on TV, but you need to know your case will be in good hands, with someone who can win and who is willing to do what it what it takes to maximize the value of your claim.
The Right Kind of Attorney
Maybe you already have a great business attorney, divorce lawyer, or criminal defense attorney. If so, ask that attorney for a referral. You wouldn’t go to a cardiologist, even the best, for brain surgery. It’s the same concept with lawyers. You need one who focuses on personal injury. Don’t worry, experienced and qualified attorneys do not get offended when you ask for a referral when your needs fall out of their normal practice area.
What You Want
Here are some of the basic elements you are looking for when seeking a qualified accident attorney:
- Ample experience with the type of accident you were involved in and the types of injuries you suffered
- A trial attorney – one who has trial experience and is willing to take your case to trial if a fair settlement agreement cannot be reached
- A track record of success in your type of case, you should be able to verify this
- Awards and recognition from respected organizations
- An attorney who will be personally handle the details of your case rather than handing it off to assistants or paralegals
- When possible, one who has an office that is a reasonable distance from your home
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured, please connect with an experienced personal injury attorney in your area.